Saturday, June 12, 2010

Living with Gran

At nine years of age I left Winnunga school and went to the Ungarie Public
School in 1935 staying with my grandmother Mary Ann Elliott.

Grandfather Fred died on 21.10.1935 aged 77 so it worked out that I would be company
for Gran. I loved her very much and she completely spoilt me, she used to call me 'Petty". We got on so well together and I believe I was her favourite also.

We used to sit in front of the fire in winter in the dining room and she would tell me stories of her childhood and about her brother Christopher who was burnt to death in a fire in Redbridge near Wombat. Thank goodness I remembered that story as in later years when searching for her ancestors I knew where to start looking for her family.

One night Gran said would you like to hear me sing. I can still see her sitting in her rocking chair warbling away, believe me she was no Joan Sutherland, I doubled up in laughter and fell on the floor and had an accident, poor Gran she had to wash the mat after me so that ended her singing to me ever again.

Gran had six children Harry.. William.. Kathleen.. Nellie.. Annie.. & Eileen my Mum.

In those days there was no such thing as radios so we mainly read and played sport.

Every Sunday come 3 o'clock Gran and I would walk to the cemetry to visit Grandad's grave it was about three miles from town and she was a fast walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment