Monday, June 14, 2010

1942

End of term and I said goodbye to my school mates as I was going to Mount Carmel College in Yass the next year. It was a Catholic college even though I was C of E but it was the only vacancy my parents could get. It was the done thing for girls to try and finish their schooling at college and make a Lady out of them???

There were quite a lot of Church of Englands attending there and we all became friends and did so until we gradually got married and went our seperate ways. The food was very basic. Our Saturday morning special was to line up and get a dose of epson salts, some of us rectified that as we put a glass in our apron pocket and emptied the dose in that, we managed not to get caught.

Living away from home was different, I missed my parents very much as we were a close family. Mum did visit a couple of times coming by train.

Whilst our uniforms were black we did look nice when we were all together and when we went out we certainly had to behave as thorough Ladies or be expelled.

I passed the intermediate with 3 B's and an A. The A was for art, I believe that I should have chose that as my field in life as I drew every day and never got sick of it mainly cartoon characters but I was not encouraged and the question was "Where would art get you"...

I wanted to go on and do my leaving as I had settled in and liked college but my parents thought my sister Val should go. As they could not afford the two of us it was decided I leave and let her go so my uniforms were all cut to fit Val and off she went.
I think she lasted a couple of weeks and ran away, she missed home too much. I guess she can say she went to college but not mention for how long.

No comments:

Post a Comment